Friday, February 26, 2010

Debate Reflection

I believe that in my debate, I prepared myself accordingly. I didn't write a speech, because I have trouble with reading directly off paper. In making eye contact with my audience, I lose my place on the paper and then have to pause and find it, etc. It's just inconvenient for me. Instead, I set a bulleted list of my points in front of me and was able to use them as cues from which I could refer back to my research. My total points were 14/16, which I think is fair when compared to my performance. My opponent, Lea Cenname, was well prepared, as well. She provided a good rebuttal with points including: allergies to the chemicals that are used to modify the crops, insects becoming immune to different pesticides in eating the crops, chemicals combining and creating harmful health threats in humans and animals, etc. These points evolved into a good discussion that included several other classmates. I learned a lot through this debate, and I've developed my own opinion of genetically modified food-crops, apart from the standpoint that I was assigned.

No comments:

Post a Comment